House Insurance

Play it Safe with House Insurance House insurance is vital, whether you own your own home or are renting from a landlord. You need to ensure that your building and contents are covered against damage, loss and theft, and with so many different providers on the market offering varying levels of cover, it can seem like a minefield trying to find the best house insurance for your needs. Take a few minutes out of your day to read our handy guide, which will help you to track down the right insurance for your house.


Buildings Insurance

If your home is mortgaged, proof of buildings insurance is normally requested by your mortgage provider. Those living in rental properties may not need buildings insurance as this is usually covered by the landlord, but it’s important to double check this. Your mortgage provider may specify a minimum amount of buildings cover needed, depending on the value of your home.

Buildings insurance covers your home’s structure as well as some of its permanent fittings such a taps, toilets and kitchen, and you’ll find most policies cover you against the following: fire, flood, vandalism, earthquakes, subsidence, storms or other bad weather conditions, vehicle impact, falling objects and subsidence. It’s best to double check exactly what a policy covers before signing up.

Contents Insurance

It can be tempting to save money by not purchasing contents insurance, but if you care about your possessions it is vital. Contents insurance covers items such as your furniture, books, DVD’s, etc. and you can take optional extra cover for items you take out of your home such as an MP3 player or your bicycle, for example.

Some home insurance providers offer accidental damage cover and old for new cover, which means if you spill coffee on your laptop, the insurance company will pay for a new one.


All insurance policies come with an excess – this is the amount you’ll have to pay if making a claim, and you can usually select the level of excess yourself. A lower excess means your policy will be more expensive, whereas selecting a higher excess may reduce the price of your insurance policy, although it means you will pay more in the event of a claim. 

Direct Line is one of the UK’s leading insurance providers offering competitive quotes on house insurance. By buying your policy online with them directly you could save even more money. 

Churchill offer a discount to new home insurance customers if they have been claim-free for the last 5 years, and their 24 hour emergency helpline ensures that someone will always be available to assist with an enquiry or claim. 

Aviva offer a range of insurance including house insurance and also offer discounts to those who have been claim-free for the last 5 years. They offer customers a named personal claims manager to call in the event of a claim. 

MoneySuperMarket will compare at least 95 house insurance companies if you just fill in one form on their website. They will present the data in an easy-to-compare table so you will see which provider responds best to your needs.

The average cost of house insurance is £185 per year. It can go up or down according to your circumstance and area. Make sure you put everything as it is in your quote as any misinformation may result in your claim becoming invalid. 

You may want to read about: Contents Insurance