Emergency Home Insurance

If you own your own home, you’ll have buildings and contents insurance in place to cover your property and possessions should the worst happen. But many people don’t stop to consider what they would do if an emergency occurred at home, such as a burst pipe, blocked drains or electrical fault, and these problems are more common than you might think. With home emergency insurance cover, you can ensure your home is protected against these emergencies and more, all for a monthly or annual premium. So take a few moments to read our handy guide to home emergency insurance, to see whether it’s the right choice for you.

What is Covered?

It’s important to note that some home insurance providers offer home emergency insurance included in your existing policy, so always check to ensure you aren’t already covered. Some insurers will offer it as an optional extra to add-on to your existing policy and then there are other companies who offer emergency home insurance as separate, standalone cover.

Most standard policies cover the following:

• Heating
• Electricity
• Water
• Drainage

It’s important to check the small print before taking out home emergency insurance, to make sure you know exactly what is covered. Some policies only class boiler breakdown as an emergency if it occurs in the winter months, so if your boiler fails between May – August, you might find yourself having to cough up the costs of repair from your own pocket.

You should also check the following before taking out any emergency home insurance policy:

• What cost of repairs are covered?
• What are call-out times? Some companies offer a guaranteed fast response.
• Will your boiler be covered? This could depend on the age of your boiler, as some insurers won’t cover any boilers that are more than 8 years old.

Read the Small Print

Even if you find that your insurer provides home emergency cover under your standard insurance policy, you should always check the level of cover provided. In some instances, low cover of around £150 – £250 is all that is included, which probably won’t be much use if your boiler gives up the ghost on a snowy winter day!
Of course, you could put money aside to pay for independent tradesmen to visit in case of an emergency, but by taking out a home emergency insurance policy, you can ensure that you’ll receive a quick response should the worst happen, which can be very reassuring if a pipe bursts or your home is damaged in a storm!

Who Needs Emergency Cover?

It is homeowners' and landlords' responsibility to get cover for their property. The tenants are not obliged to fix and take care of repairs in case of emergency. So the Landlord is the one to pay the cost of the insurance policy which will depend on the chosen level of cover.

You might also want to read about: House Insurance